Stainless Steel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stainless Steel

Medieval II Total War - Kingdoms most popular modification Stainless Steel

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Prop 8 "What the ****"

Go down 
+3
Preachercheeze
Rozanov
y2day
7 posters
AuthorMessage
y2day
Admin
Admin
y2day

Rep : 16

Prop 8 "What the ****" Empty
PostSubject: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

From the New Members thread in the Stainless Steel Inn forum, ruby727 mention something about religion being used as a political standing. That is very true but in the case of gay marriage that he mentioned it shouldn't be the issue "now". The other day a judge over turned Prop 8. Prop 8 was a proposition voted on by (not sure of the number , millions) a lot of americians. The concensus was no gay marriage. Personelly I really don't care who you marry. I have a problem with a judge over turning a law that was voted on by the people.

ruby727 - if you are looking for something to dislike about america look no farther than that. That is total bullshit. People spent literally millons of dollars on both sides of the issue and some judge can just say, sorry your vote doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Rozanov

Rep : 3

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 am

I don't know the details but I believe judges can over-rule any democratically decided law if it contradicts the constitution?
Back to top Go down
Preachercheeze

Preachercheeze

Rep : 1

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 am

the constitution clearly says that everyone stands equal to the state... and that should be true despite of sex, religion, class and sexual preferences...

because the constitution is above the states law, a federal judge can deem a resolution in a state as invalid if it breaks against the constitution...

In a democracy, this should always stay true... in Sweden we have some basic laws (don't know the correct english term to translate that word 'grundlag') that says exactly what rights we have as the people... new laws should/can NEVER be against these laws... for one of the basic laws to change, there must be a concensus during two mandate periods and with a full majority (about 75 % of the 'riksdag', equal to the senate)...

People seem to forget that a democracy ain't about what the people always want... it is equal a responsability to the state and to the constitution to uphold that democracies beliefs! Despite ones personal beliefs...

I know that, as a non-american, I have no saying in the question... but as a fellow human being that believes in democratic principles I think I have a saying in the greater term...
Back to top Go down
y2day
Admin
Admin
y2day

Rep : 16

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 pm

If it contradicts the judges interpretation of the constitution. Sad

Again I don't think it should be the goverments decision on who you should marry, period. After reading more about the case and the judge I actually think the right decision was made. When I first heard about it at work I was like what the hell?
Back to top Go down
Preachercheeze

Preachercheeze

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:19 am

Same goes for me... unfortunatly there is a need sometimes that the government takes step to "control the masses" (small joke there)... In Sweden we passed laws abiding to the right of both marriage and adoption for all... now it is against the law for the church to deny a gay marriage... BUT, it is still legal for the PRIEST to deny because of personal beliefs...

and isn't everything about an interpretation of everything? the supreme court judges in the US, as I have understood it, are elected by the senate and should have a great understanding of the constitution and the law? My question is though if they're political neutral as well??? Because, as I have understood it, the democrats and the republicans interprit the constitution very differently...
Back to top Go down
Caesar Clivus
Caesar Clivus

Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:54 pm

It seems to me that there is a large chunk of americans who love the constitution and the bill of rights...but then conveniently forget about them or choose to ignore them when an issue that they disagree with arises. Such as this gay marriage law. Or the building of the Muslim cultural centre 2 blocks from ground zero.
Back to top Go down
Preachercheeze

Preachercheeze

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 7:09 am

exactly my opinion... Democracy: it's all fun and games until one loses their vote... Very Happy

IMHO the best thing about democracy is that we, the people, have a voice... but the worst part is what is happening now in Sweden, where a racist party seems to get into our Riksdag... I am not a fan of this party and I completely disagree with their agenda and ideologies but, BUT they have the same rights to say their piece... it's just unfortunate that so many people agree with them... Sad

the worst thing is that they call themselfs Sverigedemokraterna (Swedish Democrats)... they take the two thing I love the most and use it for their hate propaganda... well, if they enters the Riksdag we will have four years of chaos when they will stop all decisions if the big parties don't listen to them... Sad
Back to top Go down
Caesar Clivus
Caesar Clivus

Rep : 2

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:02 am

Next weekend we here in Australia go to the polls and we're at risk of the same thing happening.
Back to top Go down
EnglishKnight
Staff Member
Staff Member
EnglishKnight

Rep : 6

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 5:46 am

Quote :
Next weekend we here in Australia go to the polls and we're at risk of the same thing happening.

Yes, Australian politics is changing
and not for the better in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Meneth

Meneth

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 6:38 am

Here in Norway, gay marriage has been allowed since 2009 (6th in the world), and civil unions since 1993 (2nd in the world)
Banning gay marriage seems silly and stupid to me.
Back to top Go down
Hrobatos
Modder
Modder
Hrobatos

Rep : 21

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 am

I am strictly against such marriages
Back to top Go down
Meneth

Meneth

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyWed Aug 18, 2010 8:56 am

Why?
Is there any reason why people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed to marry?
Back to top Go down
Preachercheeze

Preachercheeze

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 am

for religious reasons, it is actually a matter of how you interprit the scriptures... in my interpritation, Jesus preached of universal love between all... he asked Peter thrice if he loved him as an example... I know that this is a theological question and about faith, but I think that Jesus loved all alike and wanted us to love each other without sex barricades...

for biological reasons, it is nothing uncommon with homosexual tendencies... many animals have homosexual relations, both for social behavior (Bonobono chimps, Dolphins etc) and instead of reproduction (Some birds, Giraffes etc)...

these two reasons are often the primary arguments against gay marriage, but as stated above, the arguments are rather thin.... so it all comes down to what you feel towards gay people... in my experience, people I spoken to that see gay people as strange, disgusting and such don't want them to marry... not one that is having these thoughts are pro marriage... and as I see it, even if you don't like or accept some peoples choices in life, shouldn't they still have the same rights as we all???

Think about a neighbour that is practicing S/M with his wife... you may not agree by it or maybe you see it as really disgusting and wrong... shouldn't he be married to his wife anyways? just because one doesn't consent with others peoples preferences or sexual behaviours doesn't mean that we should stop them from being happy... right? they are still human beings in the same world as we all...
Back to top Go down
Meneth

Meneth

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 am

Most christians aren't very Christ-like Razz (though some are great people)
I prefer being an atheist, though. No silly, pretty disgusting, and outdated book telling me what to do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prop 8 "What the ****"   Prop 8 "What the ****" Empty

Back to top Go down

Prop 8 "What the ****"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stainless Steel :: The Den :: General Discussion-
Jump to: